Standard 9

UNBC Lesson Plan Social Studies Educators respect and value the history of First Nations, Inuit and Metis in Canada and the impact of the past on present and the future. Educators contribute towards truth, reconciliation and healing. Educators foster a deeper understanding of ways of knowing and being, histories, and cultures of First Nations, Inuit and Metis.

THE WHAT

For a grade 5/6 class I was to do a lesson around the idea of culture and the many things that can be found in different cultures (Clothing, Food, Music, Art, etc.). I went over with the students about different cultures around the world as well as the different First Nations cultures. We were brainstorming different things found in cultures and things that differentiate between different groups.

THE SO WHAT

This experience allowed students to get a better learning and understanding of what different cultures and groups can look like as well as operate. It shows students that while there are many differences found between cultures there are also a number of similarities and commonalties that can be found to help form an understanding and connection.

NOW WHAT

I learned and realized the importance of introducing students to the idea of culture and the different groups that can be found in a certain culture. It’s important that students get a better understanding of those around them and in their own community. It enables students to continue learning not just about other cultures, but also more about themselves. I would continue on and find ways for students to actually experience things from different cultures instead of just learning about it.